Confusion over Ghana midfielder Atsu’s safety
Despite Ghana's Football Association announcing earlier this week that he had been found, Christian Atsu's Turkish club Hatayspor's coach said on Wednesday that the Ghana midfielder has yet to be found.
The GFA announced on Tuesday that Atsu had "been successfully rescued from the rubble of the collapsed building and is receiving treatment" following the 7.8-magnitude earthquake that struck early Monday.
Atsu spent four seasons at Chelsea before joining Newcastle on a permanent basis in 2017. He joined Turkish Super Lig club Hatayspor in September, based in the southern province of Hatay near the epicenter of Monday's earthquake.
"I don't have good news, no one has been found under the rubble," Volkan Demirel told AFP.
Gaynor Frascione, Atsu's image agent, expressed concern for her client.
"We're not sure. "Everyone is trying to figure out where he could be," she told AFP.
The death toll from the Turkey-Syria earthquake has risen to 9,500. "We don't know (if he's still alive).
"There were also 18 Ghanian students in this building, the Ambassador for Turkey said he was rescued, a doctor made a statement," she added.
Before leaving for Saudi Arabia in 2021, Atsu spent five seasons at Newcastle, appearing in over 100 games.
In September 2019, he won his 60th Ghana national cap.
Dozens of countries have offered assistance since the earthquake, which has been hampered by freezing weather. The most recent death toll is over 11,200 people.
Leave A Comment