Youths protest as vigilante shoots man dead in Anambra

A vigilante operative allegedly shot and killed an unidentified man in Ogidi, Idemili North Local Government Area, Anambra State. 

According to reports, the deceased's wife had just given birth, and as he was preparing to visit his wife and newborn in the hospital, a bullet struck him after a suspect pursued by security agents ran into his compound. 

According to an eyewitness, the vigilantes were on the trail of a fleeing cultist known as "China," who was also said to be a notorious criminal. 

On Thursday, youths from the community marched to the local government headquarters, demanding to see the LG chairman, in response to the incident.

Before the train crash, my daughter was studying for her master's degree in the United Kingdom. 

They blocked the entrance to the local government because the corpse insisted on seeing the chairman. 

"An innocent man was shot dead by SSS this morning," said a source in the area who spoke to journalists on the condition of anonymity for fear of retaliation. The security guards were on the lookout for a cultist who had broken into the deceased's compound. 

"The man just woke up and they were about to pray, but he excused himself to urinate outside, and the next thing was a gunshot. 

"We heard the security guards claim that they shot the man they were chasing. The deceased had no idea someone had broken into his compound. 

"He just came out to urinate before going back to join his family members for the morning prayers. He had also intended to visit his wife, who had gone to bed early this morning. He hadn't even seen his newborn. He, too, is an only child." 

According to reports, the protesting youths were barred from entering the local government secretariat because soldiers immediately blocked the gate, preventing everyone from entering. 

The state police spokesman, DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, confirmed the incident and stated that law and order had been restored. 

"The deputy commissioner of Police in charge of operations led operatives to the Ogidi community, following a protest by the community members alleging a member of the vigilantes shot one of the indigenes in the community. 

"Meanwhile, law and order have been restored in the area and the suspect has been arrested with the arm recovered. Please communicate any additional information," Ikenga added.

Leave A Comment


Subscribe to our newsletter to stay.

Sponsor Ad