NAPOLI striker Victor Osimhen has assured Nigerian football fans that he will be available to lead the Super Eagles attack during the forthcoming African Cup of Nations starting in Cameroon on January 9.
By far Nigeria’s most high profile player, Osimhen had been ruled out of the tournament after fracturing a cheekbone during a league match against Inter Milan in November. Since them, the striker has undergone complicated but successful injury and is now confident that his rehabilitation will be complete by January, making him available for selection.
Following the surgery, Napoli had said that their record signing would be out for three months, which effectively ruled him out of the Nations Cup. However, Osimhen made a quick return ahead of schedule, resuming individual training just two weeks after his surgery and is now raring to go.
Osimhen said: “I will be available for the African Cup of Nations unless if I am not among the players picked to represent Nigeria.”
His availability is good news for Super Eagles interim boss Austin Eguavoen. Nigeria’s Super Eagles begin their campaign with a clash against seven-times champions Egypt before taking on Sudan and Guinea-Bissau later in the group stage.