Brighton & Hove Albion have confirmed the appointment of Roberto De Zerbi as the club’s new head coach on a four-year contract, subject to work permit approval.
The Premier League club said in a statement on Sunday that the 43-year-old Italian agreed on final contractual terms with them late on Sunday afternoon, after meeting Tony Bloom, Paul Barber, and David Weir earlier this week in London.
According to the statement, he flew into Sussex for the first time on Friday night and attended a behind-closed-doors friendly at the Amex on Saturday afternoon.
De Zerbi takes over for Graham Potter, who recently moved to Chelsea to replace the sacked Thomas Tuchel.
Brighton said it had agreed to contracts with De Zerbi’s coaching team, subject to work permits, and that the group would be in place for Albion’s match against Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday.
As a gesture of respect to HM Queen Elizabeth II, the club has also postponed Roberto’s formal media introduction until Tuesday afternoon.